Welcome to the CAS Staff Spotlight, a column featuring members of the CAS staff. For this spotlight, we are proud to introduce you to Carrie Cross.
- What do you do at the CAS?
I am helping to develop the Actuary of the Future, a pillar within the CAS’s Envisioned Future, by partnering with and developing strategies for the Professional Education and Admissions divisions of the CAS.
- What inspires you in your job and what do you most love about it?
I love implementing best practices in adult learning methodologies across all the educational offerings that the CAS provides from continuing education to certification.
- Describe your educational and professional background.
I have a master’s degree in public administration and 15+ years of experience working with associations to develop high-impact, revenue-generating professional learning programs across health care, government, retail, talent development and now for actuaries.
- What is your favorite hobby outside of work?
My favorite hobby is being a mom to fantastic four-year-old twins and a six-year-old. Another hobby is helping professional women in mid-life learn how to grow through periods of transition.
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go and why?
I would go back to Israel, this time with my husband and kids. It’s a country with a rich culture and long history, not to mention the best falafel and hummus you’ll ever find!
- What would your colleagues find surprising about you?
Thanks to growing up in Duluth, Minnesota, I can both downhill ski and water ski with the best of them!
- How would your friends and family describe you?
I’m known for digging in, investigating solutions and creating buy-in, figuring out what needs to get done, not being afraid to take a leap of faith based on calculated risks and trying again until I get it right.